Sunday, May 1, 2011

May Maddness

Has anyone noticed that May is possibly the busiest month of the year?  I seem to remember that every May was craziness when my children were younger.  There were end of the year projects due, banquets to attend, final exams, and everyone tried to fit into May whatever they forgot or neglected during the rest of the school year.  May was always "fully booked".  I think that month might be June if you live in Canada.  Life according to the school calendar.  I figured that once I had no one in grade school, May would be just another month in the calendar.  No such luck.  I just got back from an.....awards banquet!  Go figure!  May is shaping up to be a month of madness.
I have counted the days I will be in Houston in May... 13.  Less than half of the month will be spent elsewhere.  Lucky me!  Maybe. I might just be the most exhausted mother with no school projects under my belt during the month of May.  Today was the ESL (English as a Second Language) banquet.  I've crossed over from mother to teacher and still have/get to go to the end of the year banquet.  It was a lovely and humbling experience, I am so proud of all of the people there.  They are all taking positive action to improve themselves.  That being said, I'm just glad French class is not having an end of the year party, graduation or banquet that I know of.  

May 2011 will include an awards banquet, a First Communion, a graduation and a significant birthday celebration for someone very close to me.  I probably have an end of the semester French project due that I have not been informed of yet too!  Like always, the question is...how many things can you fit into the month of May?  I guess we shall see....

In other breaking news...the month of April passed in Houston with .11 inches of rain (basically none).  We are now 7 inches below average for the year.  This may not seem significant for those of you who live in California or Arizona or New Mexico, but for Houston, a month with absolutely no rain is big news!  Yes, it is dry out there.  Dry does not mean not humid unfortunately.  We have had plenty of humid days but no rain.  It is getting to the point that when it does actually rain here there will be people dancing in the streets!  Churches all around are praying for rain, the radio stations are telling people to pray for rain.  Things are getting serious.  Predictions are for rain tonight or tomorrow, at this point I will believe it when I see it.  Good month for golf just glad I'm not a farmer.  Let it rain!  (you won't hear that from me very often)

3 comments:

Lenore said...

Praying you guys get rain. Droughts are a drag. Here's to rainy forecasts for Houston and surrounding areas.

Be sure to leave your seat belt fastened during the entire month of May, Lisa. Busy months could mean bumpy months.

Lisa said...

Seatbelt fastened and umbrella in the back seat. Wishful thinking....

Mary said...

We have nothing but rain up here in Ohio. First it was snow, then flooding with the melt, now rain.I really wish it would stop because I want to transplant a tree and the ground has been way to wet! I hope you get plenty of rain soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...